Anxiety is a normal feeling that can enhance performance and problem-solving ability. It enables people to manage tense situations. This emotion is useful in dealing with challenges. However, being excessively scared can decrease an individual’s efficiency. Extreme anxiety can be devastating as it can result in a health condition known as anxiety disorder. Controlling this sensation can prevent serious health problems. Counseling has proven to be a more efficient therapy for anxiety.
Treatment is crucial if anxiety interferes with an individual’s normal life. Though this medical disorder responds to counseling, it requires significant effort and time. Unlike medications, it has no side effects. This natural therapy can be completed successfully without combining it with any medicine. However, a counselor needs to identify the symptoms of anxiety disorder before starting the treatment.
Symptoms of anxiety disorder
The signs of the disorder differ among individuals. However, irrational fear is common among sufferers. Some of the symptoms of this health issue include:
- Shortness of breath
- Numbness of the feet and hands
- Feeling of nervousness and fear
- Excessive sweating
- Irrational ritualistic actions
- Sleeping problems and nightmare
- Repeated thoughts of disturbing events.
- Chest pain
- Dizziness and nausea
- Inability to stay calm
Counseling therapy for anxiety
Counseling has been useful in the treatment of anxiety disorder. However, there are different forms of this treatment. The choice of a treatment option depends on the severity and type of disorder. The commonly used treatments include:
- Exposure therapy: This procedure allows people who suffer from the condition to deal with their fears in a controlled. Over time, such individuals become desensitized to situations that elicit the anxiety. This therapy required only repeated exposure to the cause of the problem.
- Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT): This treatment identifies the thought that triggered the fear. The source of the disorder will be helpful in aligning a person’s mind towards positive responses. This technique is the usually used by therapists in dealing with anxiety.
- Hypnosis: This therapy is used as a complementary treatment to CBT. A counselor can help people to tackle their fears through deep relaxation.
Other forms of treatment are gestalt, existential, holistic, conversion and attachment therapy. However, they are sometimes considered as less effective than the ones discussed above.
Types of anxiety disorder
Understanding the types of this medical problem is useful in choosing the method for correcting the condition.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): This type of anxiety disorder develops after a life-threatening such as a natural disaster or car accident. The shock resulting from such traumatic event may disappear with time. However, the mental distress persists and can disrupt an individual’s normal life.
Panic Disorder: This condition is characterized by sudden attacks of deep fear. Physical symptoms of panic disorder are heart palpitations, choking, chest pain, and sweating. The distressing nature of the repeated attacks can incapacitate the sufferers. They may feel that they will die from such incidents. Counseling can offer relief to people having such frightful experience.
Social Anxiety Disorder: Events like interviews or presentations can make some people nervous. People that are scared of social gatherings experience excessive anxiety on occasions. For such individuals, interacting with others becomes a challenge. They may avoid social events as they feel that people will watch them. Therapy can be helpful in overcoming social phobia.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: People suffering from this disorder are obsessed with irrational thoughts. These individuals may try to reduce the thinking. Their actions may result in compulsive behaviors. However, they cannot desist from such unwanted thoughts. A person who performs an activity repeatedly may have an anxiety disorder.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The condition may result from having frequent worries over daily activities. Individuals experiencing this type of disorder are always nervous. They tend to expect failure in their tasks. This problem can lead to constant exhaustion, body aches, and sleep problems.
Specific Disorder: The fear of a particular situation or item can become an anxiety disorder. Some people dread heights, snakes, flying objects and others. Avoiding the situation or object that triggers the fear strengthens the disorder. The thought of the cause of the phobia can cause a panic attack.
Success of Counseling on anxiety disorder
The effectiveness of counseling in the management of anxiety can be determined by the following:
- Commitment: Counseling requires a person suffering from anxiety disorder to dedicate time and effort to the success of the therapy. Such individual should be serious with the treatment session. Besides, believing that the procedure will work can help the person to become committed to the therapy.
- Type of Therapy: Though other forms of treatments may be effective, but cognitive behavioral therapy is the commonly used therapy. The choice of procedure for treating anxiety depends on the individual and the type of disorder.
- Counselor: Interaction with the therapist is essential to the success of the treatment. A healthy relationship with the counselor will help an individual to trust a counselor. Consequently, the therapy will produce a positive outcome. It is important for people to find a therapist they can confide in before starting the treatment.
Anxiety may result from both positive and negative situations. However, overwhelming feeling of nervousness can result in anxiety disorder. If left untreated, this condition may lead to serious health problems such as insomnia, heart problems, high blood pressure and others. Some individuals use drugs such as marijuana to control anxiety. Besides having a temporary effect, this solution can lead to more health issues. Counseling is an ideal treatment option for anxiety disorder. It provides a lasting solution, allowing sufferers to regain their healthy and normal life.
Need help dealing with anxiety? Contact the professionals at L&B Counseling in Charlotte, NC.