I am lucky to have such a diverse staff that enjoys and is skilled in working with a variety of issues. The practice sees a lot of individuals and families aging from seven to seventy working with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Depression, Anxiety and Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Usually with Oppositional Defiance Disorder there is an underlying issue but the opposition gets all of the attention. We can help try to figure out what is going on underneath. Kids that have strong opinions have great leadership qualities and show a great deal of determination. They and their families have to learn how to make it a strength and not a blind spot.
We use tools and techniques that are part of the L & B Counseling Way to impact change. We teach you how to fight Anxiety through a systematic approach along with how to manage other strong emotions. You are taught how to recognize the difference between worry and anxiety. A detailed individualized plan of attack is created for each person to learn to fight anxiety, OCD, and any other phobias.
The practice does a lot of professional development with adults who are either trying to figure out that first step, or someone older trying to figure out the next step. We get a lot of referrals for the failure to launch individuals who have either gone off to college or professional career, but for some reason have been unsuccessful with sustained success. We also work with men who are working through issues in their personal relationships and figuring out how to be better communicators.
We see clients from Cabarrus, Mecklenburg, and Union County in North Carolina and Lancaster and York County in South Carolina. However, we cannot see individuals that have South Carolina Medicaid, since we are not licensed in that state.
Who we are not a good fit for:
- Individuals who primary issue is substance use. Sometimes the family may not know the full extent of the use. In this case, a referral would be made to a provider of their choice.
- Someone that is looking for psychological testing.
- Children under the age of seven.
- Children and adolescents that are high on the Autism spectrum.
- Individuals that have a primary issue of a personality disorder. We know sometimes this has to be uncovered to rule anything else out as the primary issue but we know there are other providers in the community that are better suited and trained to work with these individuals.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a diagnosis where there are better providers that are trained in Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and EMDR that can help that individual experience a decline in their symptoms.